India

Thursday, March 5, 2009


  • "If there is one place on the face of the earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India....For more than 30 centuries, the tree of vision, with all its thousand branches and their millions of twigs, has sprung from this torrid land, the burning womb of the Gods. It renews itself tirelessly showing no signs of decay."

-Romain Rolland (1866-1944)
French Nobel laureate,
professor of the history of music at the Sorbonne and thinker.


  • "So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds. Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked. "

- Mark Twain (American writer)


  • "There are some parts of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and won’t go. For me, India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness of the land, by its lush beauty and exotic architecture, by its ability to overload the senses with the pure, concentrated intensity of its colors, smells, tastes, and sounds. It was as if all my life I had been seeing the world in black and white and, when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in brilliant Technicolor."

- Keith Bellows (Vice-President, National Geographic Society)


  • "I have declared again and again that if I say Aryans, I mean neither blood nor bones, nor hair nor skull; I mean simply those who speak an Aryan language… in that sense, and in that sense only, do I say that even the blackest Hindus represent an earlier stage of Aryan speech and thought than the fairest Scandinavians...To me an ethnologist who speaks of Aryan race, Aryan blood, Aryan eyes and hair, is as great a sinner as a linguist who speaks of a dolichocephalic dictionary or a brachycephalic grammar."

- Max Muller (Indologist)

5 comments:

Indyeah said...

Beautiful quotes all of them!:)
and its uncanny how I have kept the very same ones:)
thanks for sharing

cosider myself fortunate to be born an Indian:)

Biju Mathews said...

Makes me proud!

Great quotes. Thanks for putting them together.

Keep Blogging!

Eternal Rebel said...

@Indyeah !
:) Thanks , actually the source of these quotes is wikiquote. This post was waiting as a draft for about one year to see the light of the net today. Wonder how our ideology matches so much :P
@Biju
Thanks :)

Unknown said...

Proud to be an Indian!!
I think the same spirit which are expressed in the quotes are to be kept alive and moved higher by us now for the next generation!!

Eternal Rebel said...

@Nagendra
That can happen only if we steer clear of any sort of religious fanaticism